We need volunteers to help us organise events! For more information, please see our Get Involved page
MANUEL BRAVO ARE RECRUITING FUNDRAISING, EVENTS AND COMMUNICATIONS VOLUNTEERS!
Communications volunteering comes with great training opportunities and the Fundraising and Events role is a brand new exciting role! Please see the Get involved page for more details of these roles. We are also currently recruiting volunteer interpreters. Details of current volunteering opportunities here
Manuel Bravo Project offers free legal advice to asylum seekers who wish to appeal against a negative first decision or submit a fresh claim for asylum and who cannot obtain Legal Aid. We do this by:
- Pursuing cases where there are grounds for first appeal or a fresh claim but where the Commission will not grant legal aid.
- Providing information that would increase the likelihood of the Legal Aid Agency judging the case eligible for legal aid.
- Every person fleeing persecution and violence has a right to lodge a claim of asylum.
- According to 2015 Home Office statistics, 61% of initial asylum claims are refused.
- According to 2015 Home Office statistics, about one third of asylum refusals that go to appeal are overturned.
- Legal Aid is only granted for appeals judged to have a 50% chance of success and demand far exceeds capacity. We deal with those cases below that threshold.